New Homes Board Interim Chair Announced
It has been announced that Natalie Elphicke MP is to lead the New Homes Quality Board, acting as interim chair.
The interim board, which is an independent body that has the responsibility for the quality of new build homes and consumer redress, met for the first time, and outlined it’s next steps.
Guided by the principles of independence, transparency and integrity, the board is made up of people from across the sector, including:
- consumer bodies
- house builders
- warranty providers
Although the board is only meant to be an interim measure, they have the responsibility for the quality of new build homes and consumer redress. Recently, they met up for the first time to discuss and agree the next steps they should take. These were:
- oversee the composition and appointment of a permanent board;
- the completion, consultation on and adoption of a new comprehensive and robust industry code of practice that will place more stringent requirements on all parties involved in the construction, inspection, sale and aftercare of new homes;
- agree a process to appoint a New Homes Ombudsman service to adjudicate against the new code
The appoint of Ms Elphicke MP as the interim head, demonstrates the sector’s support to implement comprehensive new measures set out by the Government with regards to the consistency and quality of new homes as well as better customer service and strengthened consumer redress.
Natalie Elphicke, MP said;
“This is a welcome move, and a much needed step in the right direction.
“I am committed to ensuring that the new arrangements will deliver a step change in the quality of new homes and customer experience.
“They will be based in the principles of independence, transparency and integrity, values I know this Government, and the industry, are determined to instil.
“I look forward to working with all parties to finalise and implement these changes as quickly as possible.”
It is hoped that by the Autumn, a permanent chair will be appointed to the Board.
The other members of the Board are:
- Jackie Bennett- UK Finance
- Joanne Casey – Mactaggart and Mickel (medium sized builder)
- Gillian Cooper – Citizens Advice
- Douglas Cochrane – Independent
- Barry Cummins – Homes England
- Jennie Daly – Taylor Wimpey (large PLC builder)
- Natalie Elphicke – MP (independent chair)
- Katy Jordan- Storey Homes (small builder)
- Paul Smee – Conveyancers Association
- Nicholas Boys-Smith – Create Streets
- Steve Wood – NHBC (UK’s largest new homes warranty provider)