Richard Collins, the Solicitors Regulation Authority’s (SRA) Director of Policy and Standards, has been promoted to Executive Director. Collins will now be responsible for Regulatory Policy, Standards, Strategy and Research and will sit on the SRA Senior Management Team (SMT), overseeing management and development of these areas.
Antony Townsend, SRA Chief Executive, comments:
"The changing legal services landscape has heralded radical changes to the way in which we conduct our regulatory activities. This has necessitated a new Handbook and, alongside this, a host of policy review considerations.
The development of regulatory policy and standards will continue to be a critical element of our work as we become a licensing authority for ABS and expand our focus to include the regulation of global entities. Richard’s appointment will complement the skills of the existing SMT members.
His expertise in the legal policy arena, and knowledge of the sector, is formidable and he will make a valuable contribution to our strategic activities.”
Collins’ impressive CV includes being awarded an OBE in 2009 for services to the administration of justice, working with Lord Carter of Coles on his legal aid review. Before joining the SRA in late 2010 Collins was Practice Director for a leading national criminal defence and human rights specialist law firm.
"I’m delighted to be moving into this new role at such an important time for the SRA. 2011 has seen major achievements for the organisation and I look forward to helping it ensure that the consumers of legal services benefit from our new approach to legal services regulation.”
The SRA’s SMT now consists of:
- Chief Executive — Antony Townsend
- Executive Director — Samantha Barrass (responsible for Education and Training, Supervision, Risk, and developing the SRA’s role in International Affairs)
- Executive Director — Mike Jeacock (responsible for Authorisation, Post Enforcement, Operations, Intelligence and Investigations)
- Executive Director — David Middleton (responsible for the Legal Directorate and Enforcement)
- Executive Director — Richard Collins (responsible for Regulatory Policy, Standards, Strategy and Research)
- The current SMT will be joined by the Director of Organisation Services in 2012, this is a new role which has been jointly established by the SRA and the Law Society.
Today’s Conveyancer, bringing you the latest conveyancing news and updates.