Government Issues Removers Safe Moving Guidance
Removers were among the home buying and selling industries offered safe moving guidelines to ensure their transition back into work is smooth and safe.
The sector was already gearing up for a return after removal giants, Pickfords, announced that they were fully operational and open for business from Monday.
The firm had already written and started distributing new safety procedures in order to ensure the safety of their staff and customers which has been deemed paramount to the company in ensuring they were able to reopen their operations.
Pickfords are completing new risk assessments for all removal jobs, including removal teams practising clear social distancing from movers and compulsory PPE equipment being worn at all times. Removal crews are also encouraged to wash their hands regularly to ensure the spread of any germs is minimised.
This advice is echoed in the governmental guidelines which state that all work should be carried out in accordance with governmental ‘safer working’ guidance.
The guidelines specify that all removers should:
- Removers should contact the household in advance to check that no member of the household is showing symptoms of coronavirus or self-isolating. If they are, works should be delayed.
- They should also encourage households to ensure all internal doors are open and surfaces and possessions have been cleaned with household cleaning products prior to them entering the property.
- No work should be carried out by a person who has coronavirus symptoms, however mild.
- Removers should wash their hands on entering the property using separate towels of paper towels which need to be washed or disposed of safely after use.
- Removers should seek to minimise contact with homeowners and remain 2 metres apart from householders at all times.
- Removers should implement a buddy system and ensure that the same people work together when moving bulky items and furniture.
- Removers should bring their own refreshments but you should ensure they have access to hand washing facilities, using separate towels or paper towels if possible, which should be washed or disposed of safely afterwards.
Managing Director of Pickfords, Mark Taylor, said
“Our highest priority is the safety of our customers and employees during this period. We are confident that with the co-operation of our customers and removal teams, we can adjust the way we work without compromising our business operations or customer service
“Pickford has updated its ‘Guidance notes for customers’ to prepare its customers for the changes in procedures, which will remain under frequent review.”